Publié le 16 mars 2020 Mis à jour le 12 juin 2020
As you know, the Université Lumière Lyon 2 will be putting its teaching and reception activities on hold beginning Monday, 16 March 2020 and for an as-yet undetermined period thereafter. We recognize this situation will have a particular impact on our international students (both those enrolled directly in a degree-seeking programme, and those studying with us as a part of a study-abroad programme). We want reassure and inform you of the consequences as they pertain to your situation, and respond to questions you are currently asking yourself.
ATTENTION We will keep you informed as the situation evolves. We strongly recommend you consult your Lyon 2 email on a very regular basis.



1. Reminder to students who were assigned a CROUS room through the DRI : a response concerning your departure from the accommodation is expected no later than May 17th, 2020.
For more information, please write to or visit our French webpage

2. Support measures and specific aids

  • If you have lost your job/internship, you can apply for a 200€ grant. Eligibility conditions here
  • The GAELIS association distributes basic necessity packages for students in-need. Visit their Facebook page to find out more about this programme.
  •  If you feel isolated, or if you wish to help a student experiencing feelings of isolation, you can still register with the Student Social Support Network (registration form). Contact:
  • If you wish to receive help with your academic writing (dissertation, report, ...), or with your oral expression (defense, interview, ...), the International Mentoring Centre of Lumière Lyon 2 (fr.Centre de Mentorat International de Lumière Lyon 2) offers workshops in French academic language et methodological as well as individual tutoring sessions. You can access the workshops from Lyon 2's online teaching platform, Moodle,by registering for the "CMI" course. To sign-up for a tutoring session click here. If you have any questions, please write to:
  • If you need to consult a doctor, the Lyon 2 University Health Service is open. To make an appointment send an email to

3. Information about the Rhône Prefecture and residence permits

  • As of May 13th 2020, the Rhône Prefecture is gradually reopening its services for asylum seekers and as of June 15th 2020 for procedures related to residence permits. The Prefecture’s reception desk will be open to the public by appointment only, and on presentation of a summons. Please note that summons issued before May 11th are no longer be valid; it is therefore necessary to reschedule an appointment. For more information, visit the Prefecture's website.
  • Residence permits expired or expiring between March 16th and June 15th 2020, will be recognized at valid for an additional 6 months (increased from the initial 3-month extension). To find out more about the terms and conditions, click here
  • Announcing the opening of the Prefecture’s new Digital Desk, launching May 18th. To make an appointment, go to "contact-> message" or call Monday through Friday between 9am and 3pm.
Previous updated

UPDATED 24/APRIL : The period of validity of residence permits that expire between March 16 and May 15, 2020 will be extended by 6 months. This measure applies to long-stay visas, residence permits, provisional residence permits and receipts for residence permit applications. More information (in french)

UPDATED 14/APRIL : FAQ - Information about final exams : you will find the answers to the questions you are asking yourself about validating your year in this very special context.

UPDATED 20/MARCH : The French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation has issued a press release about the measures being taken for students, some of which are specific to international students:
1. International students whose higher-education institutions are closed should return home if possible, as long as it is in accordance with the latest international travel regulations.
2. International students currently studying in France and whose residence permits are due to expire shortly will receive particular attention from the Government. A special arrangement of the emergency draft bill (to address the Covid-19 epidemic) will enable the Government to take all necessary steps to extend their residence permits.
Attention: no new residence permits will be awarded at the moment.

If you are a student at Lyon 2 and you feel isolated
We are launching a virtual support program to ensure that students are feeling isolated maintain a social bond with others. To register as a mentor or to request a mentor, please use this link :

UPDATED ON 18/MARCH/2020 : The Crous (Lyon) has announced that all its residences will remain open for the students who reside there.
Exchange students whose accommodation has been managed by the DRI (International Relations Department) as well as direct-enrolment international students who have obtained their CROUS accommodation via the ‘dossier social étudiant’ (DSE), may leave their residence without giving one month's notice. Note that you must however pay for the current month of March. For more information:

UPDATED ON 17/MARCH/2020 : Closure of the Préfecture du Rhône and extension of residence permits by 3 months.

International students
at Lyon 2

The following information concerns all international students, be they enroled in a study-aborad proramme or in a degree-seeking programme.

When will classes begin again?

All in-person teaching is suspended as of Monday 16 March for a duration as-yet to be determined. Regularly consult your Lyon 2 e-mail to keep yourself informed.

Will distance-learning be available?

The University is currently putting in place options for on-line and distance teaching so that students may complete their courses as planned. Very soon, you will receive instructions from your teachers (sent to your Lyon 2 e-mail) on how to proceed.

Can I return to my country of origin ?

You are free to return to your country of origin if you feel it necessary or if you would feel safer. Make sure to inform your teachers; study-abroad students must also make sure to inform their International Relations Office (DRI) adviser.

If the duration and conditions of the current epidemic require you to stay in your country beyond the validity of your visa/residence permit, you will have to follow certain procedures to be able to return to France. For all questions concerning your visa/residence permit, contact

My residence permit is about to expire, what should I do ?

As a result of the latest government measures and given the health context linked to the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the Préfecture du Rhône has announced that the reception of residence permit applicants is suspended until further notice.
The period of validity of residence permits that expire from March 16 will be extended by 3 months.
This mesure also concerns long-stay visas, residence permits of any kind, provisional residence permits, certificates of asylum applications and receipts for residence permit applications.
Holders of these documents will keep their right to work and their welfare rights and benefits.
It is strongly advised for foreign nationals holding an expired document which benefits from this extension not to leave French territory.
Any prior appointments are cancelled and will be rescheduled at a later date. It is therefore useless to book another appointment.
For more information:

Can I leave my CROUS housing before the end of my lease ?

If you are a study-abroad student who obtained a CROUS housing-option through the International Relations Office (DRI), you may break your lease without penalty. You need to contact your residence to make an appointment for your exit walk-through. You will only be required to pay for the current month, and not the following months of your lease. Please inform the International Relations Office (DRI) officer in charge of CROUS relations (

If you obtained a place in a CROUS student-residence directly through the “Dossier Social Etudiant”, you may break your lease without penalty. You need to contact your residence to make an appointment for your exit walk-through. You will only be required to pay for the current month, and not the following months of your lease.

If you found other housing, we cannot inform you of any special options for breaking your lease early. Contact your housing agent or agency for information on breaking your lease.

How can I complete my semester or year or if I go home

Study-abroad students : You can complete your courses with Lyon 2 from your country. We will create a system which will allow you to take your final exams from home. Your semester or year with Lyon 2 will be recognized by your university.

Directly-enroled international students: We are currently studying appropriate measures so that students who have returned to their country can benefit from suitable assessment methods.

If the university is closed, how can I contact the International Relations Office?

The University is physically closed, both for teaching and administrative activities. However, university employees will continue to work. Do not hesitate to get in contact with your DRI adviser by email.

What do I do if I have symptoms ?

Keep yourself informed of the French government’s health and safety guidelines (only available in French):

Health FAQ