Les portails Lyon 2 : Intranet - Portail Etudiant

You are here : Home>International>Exchange programs>Applying for a long-stay visa


Applying for a long-stay visa

[en]Publié le November 25, 2005

Students from outside the European Union

Students from countries which are not part of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, must apply for a long-stay visa relative to their studies, from the French consulate in their place of residence. This is an obligatory procedure which must be completed prior to travelling to France, as it is not possible to obtain this document once in France.
Note: if you are a resident, but not a national, of a European Union country, you will still need to apply for a long-stay visa in order to study in France.

The addresses of all French consulates and embassies are available from:  www.expatries.org/annuaires/repdipet.asp
The long-stay student visa must be complemented by a foreigners' residence permit and ID card - carte de séjour' - which you must obtain upon arrival in France. The University can assist you with your carte de séjour application at the local prefecture. Before coming to France, you must, however, prepare the following necessary documents:

- Proof of funds (grants, various financial aid, declaration of sponsorship by a private person, from someone like your parents, for the entire duration of your course and attesting to at least the equivalent to Euros 406 per month).
- Valid passport for nationals of countries for which a visa is required.
- Birth Certificate indicating parent's details (names of both parents) accompanied by a compliant certified translation.
- Marriage Certificate as an alternative.
- Three identity photographs (recent, preferably black and white, frontal, 3 cm x 4 cm and identical).
- Long-stay student visa.

Other documents required for obtaining the carte de séjour can be gathered after your arrival.

Law No. 2003-1119 of November 26th 2003 (Article 14) removes the carte de séjour obligation for students from country-members of the European Union, European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) as well as Switzerland.

Pour accéder à vos outils, connectez-vous »