Les portails Lyon 2 : Intranet - Portail Etudiant

You are here : Home>International>Exchange programs>Accommodation



[en]Publié le November 8, 2005

Do not forget to let the DRI (International Relations Division) have details of your address in France. Any change of address during the academic year should also be notified.


The CROUS, an organisation which manages public halls of residence, reserves a hundred or so rooms and studio flats for students on the university's international programmes. It may, therefore, be possible for you to be allocated accommodation under this arrangement, according to availability, and on condition that a formal application has been filed with Emmanuel Villemont at the DRI (International Relations Division).

If you are not allocated CROUS reserved or university owned accommodation, the University with try to assist you in finding other accommodation

Details of accommodation in a halls of residence (room or studio flat) :

Approximate cost of rooms : 160 to 230 Euros per month (under 28). Deposit 150 Euros. Application processing charge 10 Euros. Internet access in the rooms (not free).

Cost of studio flats :  330 Euros per month (under 28).
Rental period 10 months. Bedding, crockery and cooking utensils are not supplied. Water, electricity and telephone costs are not included.
Deposit 250 Euros.
Application processing charge 10 Euros.

In any event, accommodation insurance is always required (Student Mutual Trusts offer accommodation insurance for  30 - 60 Euros).
Applications for accommodation in halls of residence for one semester may not always be successful.

Note :
If, upon your explicit request, accommodation in halls of residence has been reserved for you, as soon as you arrive you must first go the University Lumière Lyon 2, at 16 quai Claude Bernard, Lyon 7e (District 7) where you will be given all the paperwork necessary for you to access your accommodation.
A list of students who have been allocated halls of residence accommodation will have been forwarded to CROUS.


It may be possible to rent a flat directly (small ads etc.) or through the services of an agency (estate agency or management body) acting as an intermediary.
If you rent a flat you will be required to make a deposit equal to at least one month's rent; this deposit is normally returnable when you vacate on condition the flat is left in the state it was found.

You will also need a guarantor'; that is to say someone who accepts to pay your rent should you be unable to do so due to financial difficulties.

Rents charged vary depending on the location, size, condition, service charges and the fees of the intermediary (estate agency or management body) used.

Service charges are paid by the tenant and represent obligatory participation towards the cost of the upkeep of the building. It is difficult to give an example of an average cost, but a minimum charge is likely to be to the order of  100 Euros.

Heating can be either separate' or collective'.
  • Where you have separate heating : you will need to pay standing charges for your meters to Gaz de France' (the Gas Board) (GDF - http://www.gdf.fr) and Électricité de France' (the Electricity Board) (EDF - http://www.edf.fr), not forgetting to cancel these before you vacate.
  • Where you have collective heating : you should be advised of the monthly charge when told about the rent.


  • With lodgings in a private home you will need to specify reciprocal rights and obligations with the owner-occupier and agree upon the same. Some landlords offer accommodation with breakfast or an evening meal.

  • Private, furnished rooms are generally more expensive.
There is a private market for this type of accommodation and you will find details circulated by certain organisations by keeping an eye on adverts and notices posted by other students in the canteen, university corridors, shops etc. 

Above all, aim to be in Lyons at the beginning of September in order not to be caught out!


Before signing a tenancy agreement, the owner's representative will ask for proof of funds and will advise whether a deposit (fr, dépôt de garantie or sometimes caution') is required -this is a sum of money held in reserve to cover non-payment of rent or damage caused to the property by the tenant.

Note that an inventory relative to the state of the flat at the time of take-over and vacating should be drawn up, signed by both parties, in situ, agreeing the condition of the premises; it will be on the basis of this record that your deposit (full or in part) is returned.

Never sign for a flat without having drawn up in situ with the lessor an inventory relative to the state of the flat (fr. état des lieux) and similarly, never vacate a flat without having signed another such inventory. Particular attention to detail should be paid when drawing up this document.

An accommodation insurance certificate will be requested by the owner or his/her representative at the time of signing the lease. (Student Mutual Trusts offer accommodation insurance from  30 - 60 Euros).


Irrespective of the type of accommodation, international students may be eligible for housing benefit.  Two types of benefit, not awarded concurrently, exist: APL' personalised housing benefit, and ALS' social accommodation allowance.
Applications can be made once you are in France.


Certain organisations may provide assistance with finding accommodation:

23, rue Victor de Laprade 69008 Lyon
Tel. : 33 (0) 478 76 03 03

9, quai des Célestins 69002 Lyon
Tel. : 33 (0) 472 77 00 66

Le Progrès
Daily regional newspaper

Le ParuVendu
Free weekly small ads publication

Web sites with small ads for accommodation sharing:


Auberge de Jeunesse (Youth Hostel)
43/45, montée du Chemin-Neuf 69005 Lyon
Tel. : 33 (0) 478 15 05 50

CISL (Lyons International Accommodation Centre)
101, bd des Etats-Unis 69008 Lyon
Tel. : 33 (0) 478 01 23 45

Bed and Breakfast in Lyon
Pour accéder à vos outils, connectez-vous »